Dual degrees - a rising trend in Delhi

New Delhi, June 23 (IANS) Dual degrees seem to be catching on among youngsters in Delhi. Thousands of students seeking admission into vocational courses also want a conventional academic degree in hand as a pragmatic ploy to keep all options open.
Neha Phull is studying for a Bachelors degree in Mass Communication from Guru Jambeshwar University in Hisar as a distance-learning student. At the same time, she is pursuing a Bachelors in English Honours through a correspondence course from Delhi University."I don't know whether I will go for a job in journalism after my mass communication course or appear for the Indian Administrative Services (IAS) competitive exams. So I am studying for both," said Phull.Keeping one's options open is not the only motivation behind doing two degrees - it's a way of balancing out a vocational diploma or degree from a lesser-known university."I felt very uncomfortable doing a course from a comparatively lesser-known university in the first year. Therefore I joined a BA pass course in Delhi University in the second year," Sharad Vats, a student of Indraprastha University, told IANS."All my family members are graduates of Delhi University ... how could I have done without it? Now I am at peace with myself," he added.Vats joined Delhi University in his second year of graduation but there are many who are unable to cope with the pressure of studying two courses - and quite a few drop out of one after a year or so."My family was after my life to do two courses and submitting the fees for both. But one day I announced that I couldn't manage both and would do my best in one," said Kritika Bushan."I have already bagged a job as an event manager and I am not missing my Delhi University degree," she exclaimed.According to the human resource development ministry, out of 458,884 students who have taken up vocational courses - apart from medicine, engineering or Bachelors of Education - 38,216 students are also pursuing a bachelor's degree from Delhi University.How do Delhi University colleges perceive this trend?Said Ramesh Sharma, principal of Moti Lal Nehru College, Delhi University: "Morally this is wrong. No one can do two courses from Delhi University. But studying for a regular degree from one university and pursuing the other through a correspondence course from another university is generally taken no notice of. No complaint has been received about this trend but it is common knowledge."There has always been an obsession with degrees in India but whereas some decades ago people would put the letters 'BA' as a suffix to their name, this has now graduated to 'PhD'.Earning two degrees in the same time-span seems to be an easier option to add weight to one's academic qualifications now - a trend that looks set to increase in the years to come...

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments:

Engineering News

Central Board of Secondary Education

Architecture News

Management News

Medical News

Journalism News

ss_blog_claim=39d0fbd9150037431cf33bbbf3c7c7ce